BOYCE THOMPSON INSTITUTE FOR PLANT RESEARCH
BTI is an independent, nonprofit plant research organization affiliated with and located at Cornell University. Originating 90 years ago, BTI was founded on the premise that plant research can contribute to addressing societal issues.
BTI came to Sanmita after their previous site had been down for nearly two months following a security breach. With over 3,000 pages of information on their website and 30 separate contributors continually making updates, the sheer scale of content to manage was staggering. One of the biggest problems they faced were delays in publishing research and data, and problems keeping content up to date and in sync when it appeared in mulitple areas of the site. In addition to providing a secure and sophisticated information architecture capable of handling the massive scale of the project, BTI also wanted to address brand confusion associated with the old site.
- Previous site used an unsupported CMS theme
- Stale content that was taking weeks to publish
- Branding confusion due to poor organization of content
- Robust information architecture incorporating improved CMS that is fully supported
- Consultative process streamlined organization of content to reinforce branding
- Automated content formatting that maintains consistency and speeds up the publishing process. For example, personnel information feeds directly from the master HR database, enabling online information to be kept automatically up to date and consistent in appearance
One of our most complex projects, the success of the BTI website is a result of extensive assessment and consultation combined with efficient implementation. Additionally, our custom CMS solution included mobile friendly responsive technology, enabling the site to function optimally across all devices.